Everybody has a story to tell. Some stories remain untold in a thousand pages. Some can even be conveyed in three sentences. Every person we meet, every first encounter, every first impression is a story in itself. Here are ten such short stories that tell us that there is so much more than what meets the eyes.
1. A wise tyrant commonly known as mother-in-law once welcomed her new daughter-in law in her household, and passed on the hereditary wisdom, “A woman’s family after her marriage is that of her husband’s, I do not want you spending hours on the phone with your sister, or visit your mother every alternate day.”
“I am sorry, what?” replied the disinterested daughter-in-law, playing with the wedding dress selected and imposed on her by her husband’s sister, “I thought you were talking to your daughter.”
2. “I am a self-respecting man, I will not attend your cousin’s wedding unless I get a personal invitation from his father,” he yelled at his wife, and slammed the door, returning to his bedroom to watch the India-Australia cricket match on the 200.66 cm 3D Smart 4K Ultra HD television set gifted by her father.
3. “Our family is very progressive”, said the proud father. “We allow our women to study further, and build their careers. They should be independent. We are all for women empowerment!”
Everybody at the table nodded in agreement, until he added “After all, today men want qualified and working wives, how will she find a good husband?”
4. She was feeling guilty at work, leaving her sobbing child at school who she forgot to dress up as an elephant. When did she miss to check his diary amidst the cooking, cleaning and client calls?
Back at school, her husband received adulation for being a great father — He showed up to pick him up, first time in six years!
5. “Why the hell are you wearing sleeveless, want to seduce boys in college? Go and change immediately.” He yelled at his younger sister, who was now in tears.
Back in office, he was not able to concentrate on work. Every time he tried to look at the laptop, the shapely legs of the new intern exposed by the short black skirt, distracted him.
6. “You put on too much makeup, want to impress boys?” Jiya made fun of the friend she considered shallow as they pouted for a Facebook worthy selfie.
4 hours and 20 minutes later: only 10 likes.
Jiya thought to herself, disappointed, “No matter how much cleavage I show, the opposite sex does not seem to care.”
7. A double-chinned, voluptuous woman stared at her reflection in the mirror of the trial room and complained to her petite friend, with her hand placed on her navel, “I still look pregnant, Aghh! After 11 months of gymming, since Arya was born….You still look like a model, the way you did in college.”
“Thanks”, she replied with a bleak smile, imagining herself with a protruding belly. Her fourth round of IVF had just been unsuccessful.
8. He was glancing through the pages of the matrimonial site for his brother, as he came across an interest sent by a widow. “Why would my unmarried brother marry a widow? We want a virgin bride!”
His wife smirked. Even after four years of marriage, her two abortions prior to her marriage remained a secret to her foolish husband.
9. We do not want dowry, just a Five-star wedding, concise three day functions, decent gifts for our 500 guests, and a 10-day honeymoon in Europe. After all, it’s all out of love for your daughter!”
Somewhere in Haryana, a farmer woke up from the nightmare and strangled his newly born daughter, who he was incompetent to love.
10. He stared at the bald woman wearing a halter top and torn shorts sitting at the opposite table, revealing the tattoo of a phoenix on her leg. “These women have a skewed sense of fashion,” he said to himself.
She smiled sipping her latte. It was the first time since the chemotherapy ended that she felt confident to leave the house.